"He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left."
Matthew 25:33

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Betty McCollum's Town Hall Meeting

On Saturday, February 24th, Congresswoman Betty McCollum was at the Wentworth Library with Representatives Rick Hansen and Joe Atkins. It was the usual small turn out for such an event. It is one of my complaints that too many people just do not care to show up. We are all in this together people! Remember, we get the government we deserve!

So far this year, it is the second time Senator James Metzen has not blessed us with his presence despite being included in the events of the day. Remember that he was to be at Town Square Television's show, "Capitol Call In?" Both events, no Metzen.

Anyway, Miss McCollum did most of the talking. She loved using the word "bipartisan." This was in reference to Ramsted the RINO, and what she called "moderate Republicans," or those Republicans that have been voting along with the Democrats. I am positive that Michelle Bachman was not included in her thoughts on what "bipartisan" is. She also praised Pawlenty for his support, and the "bipartisanship" for the new Energy Bill."

One subject that came up was "Early Childhood Education." I must say that I am much more in favor of all day Kindergarten than any kind of education funding for three and four year old kids. During this discussion, a lady claimed that future estimates for the construction of prison cells are determined by 3rd grade reading skills tests. Now that's something to ponder over. According to Rick Hansen, funding for early childhood education will be increased this year, but not as much as in some previous years. He also claimed that all day kindergarten is moving forward.

When it was my turn to speak up, I mentioned that I had read John McCain's book "Faith of My Fathers." I told of how Senator McCain's military blood line goes back to ancient Scotland. That his ancestors fought on both sides of the Civil War. That his Grandfather was on the ship in Tokyo Harbor where Japan formally surrendered. That he spent time in the Hanoi Hilton. I said that I had recently read up on U.S. Congressman Sam Johnson's beliefs, and that he too had served in the Korean, and Vietnam wars and that he too had spent time in the Hanoi Hilton as a POW. I said that of the Vietnam Vets in the room, I am sure that they are well aware of the millions that were killed after we pulled out of Vietnam, and that such a thing must be avoided at all costs with Iraq. I mentioned how both McCain, Johnson, and myself consider it a waste of time and effort to pass a non-binding resolution that does nothing but undermine our troops. To this McCollum said "next." She did not even blink. Zip. Nothing. No comment.

I used this moment for a little theatrics.I took my lunch box along to this little get together. When I was given the chance, I said that there were many people here in the room that worked hard their whole lives and that we carry lunch boxes to work. I brought it along to show our elected officials how the working folk of district 39 get by. That we don't get $96.00 a day for lunch money, (per diem as it is called to them).

I felt like the lone wolf. That I was the only Republican in the room. That maybe I was out of place or that I should not have bothered showing up. It was a learning experience for me. I realize that I should be a little more diplomatic about some of the things I do and say. When it was time for me to leave, I could not stay past 11:30, I got up to go and a woman sitting next to me put her hand on my arm and said "thank you for coming today." That made it all worth while for me.

No comments: