"He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left."
Matthew 25:33

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Can a monolithic school system serve the common good?

I was talking with a good friend the other day about our school system. He claims that nothing can be done until the teachers union is overthrown. That as far as the teachers and their union is concerned, it's teachers first, students second, and taxpayers third. As a parent in school district 197 I have recently found out that our district spends about $8 million more than the state average. Still they ask for more, with scare tactics and veiled threats of cutting services to our children and the community.

During my campaign I expressed my desire to put control of the schools back in the hands of the teachers, principals, and parents. I am against the bloated bureaucracy of the administration. The problem with this is no one wants to get involved. While out campaigning last fall I spoke with a women involved with one of the local PTA's. She said that with over 1000 students at one of the local high schools, only eight parents show up at any given time. I find this to be unacceptable. So I have recently decided to go to PTA meetings. I am just as guilty of not showing up at these.

I am including a link to Craig Westover's opinion piece that was published in today's St. Paul Pioneer Press. I find it very thought provoking. Here it is,

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/opinion/16582855.htm

No comments: